If you’re looking for a simple, classic look, a short, boxed beard may be just what you’re looking for. It’s fairly easy to maintain, and if you don’t have any problems growing a beard, this may be the look for you.
A short, boxed beard is a great choice if you want a neat, simple professional style. Going from classroom to boardroom to the basketball court is a smooth transition. This short, well-groomed style is ideal for anyone that wants to look good. It’s low maintenance and doing quick touch-ups is a snap. Short, box beards never go out of style.
Read on to learn what a short, box beard is, how to achieve the look, and which celebrities are sporting the look.
What is a short, boxed beard?
In the simplest terms, a short, boxed beard is a full beard with the sides trimmed narrowly.
A short, boxed beard can be worn in various ways, giving you the option to create your own look. The possibilities are endless.
It is a classic style that gives you the look of a beard, without the bulk of a full beard. It’s versatile and fits in just about any workplace setting as long as it is neatly maintained.
Celebrities with short, boxed beards
If you’re not sure if this look is for you, I’ve got a couple of examples of celebrities sporting this look.
Here are some popular celebrities that are regularly seen with a short, boxed beard:
- Ben Affleck
- Bradley Cooper
- Jake Gyllenhaal
- Ryan Reynolds
Let’s take a look at them!
This Justice League actor is aging gracefully and letting his naturally graying hair accent his short, boxed beard.
The neatly trimmed facial hair sprinkled with gray gives him a seasoned and mature appearance.
Best known for his roles in The Hangover and A Star is Born, this actor often wears his short, boxed beard on the straggly side, but it works for him.
Women seem to go crazy over Cooper’s beard with its short sides and fuller chin area.
This Prisoners and Southpaw actor rocks the stubble version of the short, boxed beard, giving him a ruggedly handsome look.
Gyllenhaal wears his beard very low on the sides and full around his chin.
Most famous for his role as Wade Wilson in Deadpool, Reynolds’ short, boxed beard is a combination of a few styles. His facial hair is low on the sides, fuller around the chin, and both straggly and sprinkled with gray. This bearded mashup totally works for Reynolds and women love it.
These are just a few examples of ways to wear a short, boxed beard. The beauty of this beard style is that you can make it your own.
Short, boxed beard vs stubble beards
A short, boxed beard is also similar to a stubble beard, except it is slightly longer and neatly trimmed. A stubble beard is the growth of facial hair after two to three days. It’s easy to maintain since you just let the hair grow for a few days.
A stubble beard is a rugged, masculine look that doesn’t require the upkeep of a full beard. However, a short, boxed beard is a miniature version of a full beard. The sides are lower and neatly groomed around the cheek area. A stubble beard isn’t meticulously groomed.
Even though a stubble beard doesn’t need to be maintained as much as a full beard, you will need to trim it some so it won’t look unkempt. You won’t need to focus as hard on doing a complete shape-up, but trimming your facial hair will make your stubble beard look neat.
How to get a short, boxed beard to look good
The best way to get your short, boxed beard looking good is to take care of it.
If you have a short, boxed beard, or are considering growing one, follow these steps:
- Let your facial hair grow – You will need about 2 to 3 weeks of facial hair growth to achieve this look. Sorry, you’ll have to deal with the aggravating itch for a bit. But, hey, beauty comes at a price, right?
- Trim your facial hair – You will most likely need to soak and moisturize your facial hair before you start. If you do this after your shower, the hairs will be more pliable. Trim around your cheeks and jaw in the style you desire.
- Shape and clean up your beard – Neaten up the area around your beard and try to make sure your facial hair is even. An electric beard trimmer is probably your best option here. You can adjust the blade length to easily achieve your desired result. Use a traditional razor on your cheek region to give yourself a close, clean shave.
- Maintain a good skincare routine – As always, exfoliate, moisturize, and wash your beard and face. Incorporating a skincare ritual into your daily routine will keep your beard in tip-top shape.
It will take time to get your short, boxed beard to achieve the look you want, be patient.
Best face shape for a short, boxed beard
A short, boxed beard is a style that fits just about any face shape. The most important thing to remember is how you are planning to shape and style your beard.
Here are some things you should remember based on your face shape:
- Oblong and round face shape – This style will help define your facial features because the lines and angles of the cut will square your face without making it look large.
- Heart and oval face shape – You will need to keep your beard trimmed so your face looks balanced. You may want to let the hairs on your chin grow a little longer.
- Square face shape – If you have a square face, you may want to go for a longer beard to enhance your features. A short, boxed beard may add definition where it isn’t needed.
- Triangle face shape – You will need to keep your short, boxed beard closely trimmed and watch out for the angles around your cheek region. Go for a higher cheek line when trimming.
A short, boxed beard can be worn by just about anyone. You just need to groom it to fit your facial structure.
Do’s and don’ts of a short, boxed beard
If you are thinking about growing a short, boxed beard there are several things you should do (and not do!).
Do’s of a short, boxed beard:
- Trim your beard in a style that suits your face
- Maintain a daily skincare regimen
- Groom and trim your beard regularly so it doesn’t become unkempt
- Remember styling is key
Don’t of a short, boxed beard:
- Leave your beard unattended
- Forget to trim your beard 3-4 times a week
- Take on more than you can handle, everyone can’t maintain a well-groomed beard
The most important thing to remember is that you may want to seek the help of a barber to get your beard the way you want it. Not everyone is skilled with clippers.
How to grow a short, boxed beard
The easiest way to grow a short, boxed beard is to let your facial hair grow.
You will need 3 or 4 weeks of growth to start this look. Once you have a good amount of hair growth to work with, you can trim your beard in the style and shape that best suits you. If you aren’t sure what looks best, consult your local barber.
Some things are best left to the experts.
How to trim a short, boxed beard
To keep your beard trimmed, you should trim the hairs in the cheek area to highlight your bone structure.
You will want to use the natural lines and edges of your face as a guide when you shape your beard. Trim your beard 2 to 3 times weekly to keep it looking good.
Again, if you are unsure how to shape your beard, get help. You wouldn’t want to waste all that new facial hair on a bad shape up.
Maintaining a short, boxed beard
You will need to keep your short, boxed beard trimmed to ensure you maintain the neat lines you desire.
Implementing a skincare regime into your daily grooming activities will help maintain your beard. Washing, moisturizing, and exfoliating are just as important as keeping your beard trimmed.
As with anything, if you want a short, boxed beard, but don’t think you can handle the grooming on your own, get professional help.