A good shave is all about the glide. You need a shaving cream that allows your razor to move easily over the surface of your face, leaving you with smooth, irritation-free skin.
Founded in 2005, Cremo is a newcomer in the shaving world, but it’s become very popular relatively quickly. This popularity is likely due to its availability, natural ingredients, affordable price, and variety of uncommon scents. Cremo is generally regarded as a good shaving cream, although some users are put off by the lack of lather.
Keep reading to learn more about Cremo shaving cream, what makes it good, and what reviewers have to say about it.
Is Cremo good for shaving?
Customers rave about the smooth, close shave and how shaving is now a breeze.
Cremo shaving cream offers a close, smooth shave and claims to leave skin “astonishingly smooth” because of its unique texture. Instead of becoming a lather or foam, the cream mixes with water to create a substance more accurately described as a lubricant.
The most popular version, the Classic, has a subtle citrus scent. Still, the brand prides itself on offering a variety of specialty scents including Vintage Suede, Distiller’s Blend, and Bourbon Vanilla.
Let’s dig a little deeper and discuss where you can find it, and the different options available based on skin type and scent.
Here are a few things to consider for any Cremo Shaving Cream review:
- Availability in your area
- Options available for different skin types
Availability in your area
When you order from the Cremo website, you can peruse the reviews and product information and even reach out to the staff to ask questions about specific products. But what if you want to save on shipping and pick it up in person?
Cremo Shave Cream is available at many big box stores like Target and Walmart, and in grocery stores like Kroger and Publix.
While it is generally available, you won’t be able to pick up Cremo products at your local Walgreens.
Options available for different skin types
The unique combination of ingredients gets super slick when mixed with water means your razor won’t have to fight to do its job. There are different variations available, giving you the opportunity to find what suits you best.
Is Cremo Shaving Cream good for sensitive skin?
Cremo’s super-slick original formula reduces the likelihood of skin irritation, and the all-natural ingredient list means it’s likely to be good for those with sensitive skin. That being said, the brand also offers a Cooling Formula and a Moisturizing Formula in addition to the flagship original for those with specific skin concerns.
The Cooling Shave Cream includes peppermint, menthol, and tea tree oil to reduce irritation.
The Moisturizing Shave Cream claims it gives a comfortable shave, no matter what type of razor you use. This formula contains Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, an anti-inflammatory with healing qualities.
Cremo Shave Cream is available in about a dozen scents, some only at specific locations.
In addition to the light citrus of the Classic cream, Cremo’s “good uncommon scents” include:
- Bourbon Vanilla – Layered and complex, with notes of oaked vanilla and spiced bourbon.
- Coconut Mango – Coconut and mango. Moisturizing formula.
- Distiller’s Blend – Kentucky Bourbon, Smoked Vetiver, and American Oak. Part of the Reserve Collection.
- French Lavender – Lavender. Moisturizing formula.
- Jasmine Tuberose – Lush greens, pink jasmine, and exotic tuberose. Part of the Reserve Collection.
- Palo Santo – Sophisticated, with leathery nuances. Part of the Reserve Collection.
- Refreshing Mint – Contains peppermint, menthol, and tea tree oil. Cooling formula.
- Sage & Citrus – Dry mountain sage, crisp mandarin, and patchouli.
- Sandalwood – Fairly straightforward as far as Cremo scents go, this shaving cream smells of the unisex classic for which it’s named.
- Silver Water & Birch – Deep forest spring water, lavender, and white musk.
- Spiced Amber – With notes of Brazilian mandarin, exotic spices, and crystalized amber, this is currently the only shaving cream available in the Heritage Red formula.
- Vanilla Orchid – Fresh-plucked orchid petals, warm vanilla, and soft musk.
Although all scents are available on the Cremo website, some scents aren’t available in some stores. You’ll have to shop around to find what suits you best.
Cremo shaving cream vs. other brands
Cremo Company LLC, is a grooming company founded in 2005 and is owned by the parent company, Edgewell Personal Care.
While Cremo’s best known for its shaving cream, it also has just about everything you could need to care for and maintain your beard, including beard oil, beard serum, beard wash, beard balm, beard cream, beard softener, and even accessories like a beard comb and shaper.
They also have shampoos, conditioners, styling products, exfoliating bars, body washes, lip balms, and even cologne made with non-irritating, natural ingredients.
Cremo products are for anyone that wants barbershop quality at a fraction of the cost.
Here’s how Cremo Shave Cream compares to Aveeno and Barbasol:
Cremo Shave Cream
- Available online and in stores locally
- Retails for about $7.99 for a 6 oz tube
- Contains natural ingredients like Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, macadamia seed oil and citrus fruit extracts. See the website for a full ingredient list.
- Shavers love the slick consistency that requires very little water to get the job done. Cartridge razor users found this a great product that doesn’t clog blades.
Barbasol Original Thick & Rich Shaving Cream
- Available online and in stores locally
- Retails for about $3.50 for 10 oz. can
- Contains ingredients like water and stearic acid and others
- It is a favorite for men and women because its rich, thick lather prevents skin irritation.
For more about Barbosol, check out this in-depth article.
Aveeno Positively Smooth Moisturizing Shave Gel
- Available online and in stores locally
- Retails for about $6.99 for 7 oz. can
- Contains ingredients like water, Palmitic Acid, and Triethanolamine. See the label for a complete ingredient list.
- Shavers rave about the great scent, and rich lather.
Who is Cremo made by?
Cremo is owned by Edgewell Personal Care, which is based in Connecticut and all Cremo products are made in the United States.
The company first launched in 2005, and by 2015, they were generating $2.5 million in sales, according to CEO Matthew Biggins in an interview.
Is Cremo a good brand?
Since its one-product start in 2005, Cremo has steadily built a strong reputation in men’s grooming for great products.
Not only is Cremo loved for using quality ingredients, but it’s also easy on your wallet.
Read on here to find out what their customers are saying.
Can you lather Cremo shave cream?
If you’ve ever used Cremo lathering shave cream, you were probably surprised to discover that it doesn’t perform anything like most shaving creams you’re probably used to.
Cremo is not meant to create lather like other shaving creams. Instead, it creates a slick barrier of lubrication to protect your skin.
How to use Cremo shaving cream:
- Wet your face with warm water.
- Apply a small dollop of cream to your face and slowly massage.
- It’s not meant to lather. It lubricates.
- Shave using small strokes and make sure you go with the grain of the hair growth.
- Continue until you have shaved your face.
Are Cremo products safe and all-natural?
With Cremo, you don’t have to worry about what you’re putting on your skin since all Cremo products are non-toxic.
The original formula boasts a healthy mix of all-natural ingredients like macadamia seed oil, aloe, papaya and lemon extracts.
The Moisturizing formula has Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, a natural anti-inflammatory with healing qualities.
The Cooling formula has similar Cremo Shaving Cream ingredients along with natural ingredients like peppermint oil to soothe and cool the skin.
Is Cremo shaving cream available everywhere?
Cremo is a popular brand of shaving cream among some demographics, to be sure, but it does not have the mainstream recognition of giants of the industry like Barbasol or Gilette.
Cremo products are available throughout the United States online and in local stores.
The company does not ship internationally.
The best Cremo shaving cream
With the wide variety of formulations, scents, and even specialty “reserve” collections, which is the best Cremo shaving cream?
The hands down favorite Cremo Shave Cream is still the Classic. Overall, reviewers like the light scent, smooth shave, and the fact that it doesn’t require a massive amount of product per shave.
Most that use the product are impressed by:
- Light, citrus scent
- Great price
- Quality natural ingredients
- Availability online and in local stores
- Slick texture allows for smooth, close shave
- Made in the U.S.A.
Some users weren’t big fans of:
- Doesn’t lather
- You need to add more if you missed spots
- If you use it wrong, cream remains and needs tons of water to come off
- Some don’t like the smell
Cremo is a great, cost-effective way to groom and shave. It comes in so many different fragrances you can pick what suits you best.
Cremo shaving cream alternatives
While Cremo is very popular with many users, the lack of lather is a deal-breaker for many others. Whether that’s your problem or Cremo isn’t for you, we’ve collected some other great options you may want to try.
Popular Cremo alternatives include:
- Aveeno Positively Smooth Moisturizing Shave Gel – A lightweight gel with soothing ingredients like aloe and vitamin E. At about $7 a can, it’s great for those on a budget or anyone with sensitive skin.
- Claus Porto Shaving Cream – A luxurious shave cream made with lanolin for a smooth, slick shave lightly scented with bergamot and patchouli. It is on the pricier side. A 3.5 oz tube will run you about $25
- Bevel – A shave cream with shea butter and aloe designed to calm and moisturize your skin while giving you a smooth shave. The white aids in UV protection and repairs damaged skin. A 4 oz. tube is about $12.